Friday 13 January 2017

Long Way Home - Chapter 9



"That idiotic brother of mine was stabbed for stealing someone else's girlfriend. I don't know if he's dead yet, but please help me go over and take a look at him."

The first thought that appeared in my mind was that she was joking. "What, what do you mean?"

"Lu Feng ah, my brother, fought with someone and was stabbed. He's lying in that small hotel beside the school. Because he's afraid of getting more demerits, he doesn't dare to go to the hospital nor go back to school. I have no time to bother myself with him, so help me out by paying him a visit. Oh right, don't ever let my father find out, or he'll chop that idiot's legs off, and..."

I asked Xiao Shan to help me take the afternoon off, and without having the time to explain, I took off hurriedly with my wallet.

Lu Feng and I used to frequent that hotel. When there was something to celebrate, for example, when I scored first on a single subject, his father would send him some money, and the two of us would go there to eat, one of us ordering wine to drink and the other juice as we sat there and chatted.

That was why we were close with the owner as well, so once he saw me, he nodded his head as a greeting. "Lu Feng's on the second floor, Room 3."

I calmed down slightly, thinking that Lu Feng's injury shouldn't be too bad. If he was bleeding profusely, the owner wouldn't be that cold-hearted to leave a body lying in the guestroom.

The door wasn't locked, just closed. My heart was pounding; I was afraid to see Lu Feng covered in blood lying on the bed without a hint of his usual spirit.

"...Lu Feng..." I pushed the door open and nervously called out in a small voice.

"Hmm?"

...That fellow who had been stabbed and should be bleeding and crying out as if he was on the verge of death was causally lying on the bed with his leg propped up while watching the television.

"......" I immediately became as quiet as a lamb, secretly wanting to stab him with a knife before leaving quietly.

"Xiao Chen?!" He was slightly taken aback by my appearance.

I got hot under the collar. "Your sister said that you were injured and asked me to come and take a look at you, but it seems that you're in the pink of health. Was that knife as thick as a needle?" How did I not think that the knife could be the small kind we used to sharpen our pencils? Damn it...

"Oh, the knife." Lu Feng smiled, and started gesturing. "It was a watermelon knife, around this long."

"Stop talking nonsense." I was getting agitated again.

Lu Feng blinked. "I'm not lying." He turned around and showed me his right arm. There was indeed a thick gauze on it with faint traces of blood. "It just didn't hit me in the chest. That damned fat ass tried to attack me from behind, but I had no time to avoid it, so I used my arm to block it instead."

I sighed in relief, albeit still a little worried. "I-Is the wound deep?"

"It's fine, my bones were unharmed." He took a look at his arm and then looked at my pale face before smiling. "Don't worry, it isn't serious. I'll be fine in a few days. I just can't go back to school for a while. I can only afford detention, not any more demerits. Father will kill me."

"As long as you're alright, then it's fine." I became uncomfortable again when he started staring at me. "Umm... your sister is pretty worried about you, so she asked me to pay you a visit... to see.. if you were.. alright."

"My sister?" He snorted. "That nosy woman. I already told her it was just a small cut at the arm. I knew she would think too much... I just asked her to transfer some money over to deal with the situation. I broke two machines in the arcade and had to pay a hefty sum, that bastard still dared to blackmail me..."

"..." In the past, we used to be able to talk nonstop together, but I could hardly find two words in reply now after struggling. "Rest well. ...I'll help you take the next few days off when I go back...umm..."

"Huh?" He raised his eyebrows and looked at me.

"I'm leaving." Remembering the determination I had this morning, I turned to leave, ready to close the door.

"Xiao Chen."

"..."

"Since you're here, why don't you just accompany me before you leave? We haven't talked in six days."

...I guess you still have some conscience left in you to remember that it had been six days.

I slowly moved over and took a seat.

He reached over to grab my shoulder with his left hand and forcefully pulled me to his side. "Why are you sitting so far away?"

"Is your arm still hurting?" Having nothing to reply that with, I tried finding something else to talk about.

"It's okay... It's not hurting now."

"Of course," I said coldly. "even becoming a ghost would be an honour if you were to die for someone so pretty. It's the school goddess after all, getting stabbed by a knife for her would be nothing."

"I feel that getting stabbed was worth it too." He was honest.

I was furious, turning my head to avoid looking at him. "Be careful in the future. Don't wave goodbye to your life by pretending to be all heroic for some beauty."

He chuckled.

I was getting more frustrated, so I stood up. "Let that campus belle take care of you instead, I'm leaving."

"Xiao Chen," he suddenly questioned, "are you jealous?"

"Are you crazy?" As if I had been caught redhanded, I jumped and pointed at him. "What you do with others is none of my business! It's not like I'm anyone special to you!"

He smiled, suddenly pulling me with an extended hand, causing me to land right in his lap.

"What's wrong with you?" I shoved the arm wrapped around my waist away in embarrassment. "I'm not a woman, stop touching me."

"Xiao Chen, I really think that this wound was worth it."

"I know I know, stop being a lovesick fool." I was annoyed. "Go away, don't get so close to me."

"If I wasn't injured, you wouldn't have come to look for me, would you?"

I paused, taking in what he said before finally understanding. My face was heating up. "We're friends after all. If you die, I have to at the very least attend your funeral."

"Hey...don't show this kind of expression. It makes me feel like kissing you."

"You must have gone mad from thinking about women." I slapped his hand away. "Let me go. Don't you find a man sitting in your lap disgusting?"

That thick-skinned fellow tightly hugged me; I could feel his soft and warm breath on the crown of my head. I unknowingly tensed up, and without knowing the reason why, I lowered my head, afraid to meet his eyes.

"Xiao Chen, let me see your face, I have something to say to you."

"Hmm?" I looked up, unguarded.

My vision went blur. I could feel something soft and warm on my lips.

My mind went blank.

With one hand supporting my head, he kissed me passionately, his tongue slipping in, fighting against my clenched teeth. Recovering slightly from the shock, I had the chance to resist, but my jaw gave way, granting him complete entrance. Once his tongue touched mine, I could feel the energy drained out of me as I allowed myself to lie helplessly in his arms. Lu Feng's tongue was warm and fierce, the strength he used as he ferociously sucked on my bottom lip was enough to make me feel a stinging sensation. As the kiss got longer, it got deeper, leaving me breathless.

Lu Feng suddenly released me and patted my pale face. "Idiot, breathe!" I finally started taking in deep breaths of air, shivering slightly while I was at it.

"You fool, you can breathe all the same when you're kissing."

I was panting for quite some time before my heart calmed itself down. "Lu Feng... This isn't right..."

"Hmm?" He cupped my face and met my eyes.

"This isn't right," I stuttered, "It isn't right... I'm a man... This...is wrong..."

"Shh..." Lu Feng hastily put a finger to his lips.

I remained silent, nervously looking at him.

"I like you." His expression and tone wasn't laced with a hint of confusion.

"But-"

Once I opened my mouth, his lips immediately cut me off.

This time, I was long gone before I could show the slightest resistance.




3 comments:

  1. I have seen this movie and wanted to read the book so I'm really glad that you're translating this book, and the way you translate is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just start reading this novel after watching the series. i have yo say i love both. please kerp up the goo work ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously not good for my heart !! This intense feeling !! Thank you for translating !! i shall continue this at the hospital !! lmfao !! ^_^

    ReplyDelete